Chemical water treatment
Chemical treatment is the most common approach to water disinfection in municipalities as well as industry.
The three most common chemicals used in the treatment of water are chlorine, chlorine dioxide & ozone.
Chlorine dioxide is a powerful oxidising agent and biocide that is 100 – 1000 times more effective at removing and preventing biofilm than chlorine.
Chlorine dioxide provides residual disinfection, is less corrosive than Chlorine and is therefore approved by the EPA for drinking water disinfection. Water disinfection Chlorine dioxide has a broad-spectrum efficacy against: bacteria, fungi, algae, viruses and protozoa.
Chlorine Dioxide is more effective than chlorine dosing because it is far less corrosive on water systems, it is more effective at low levels, is not sensitive to system pH, adds no taste or taint and unlike chlorine does not form THMs (Trihalomethanes) which can be very harmful.
Chlorine Dioxide Generation Chemistries:
Enaqua designs and builds chlorine dioxide generation systems based on 2 or 3 precursor chemicals basis as per the below chemistry options:
2NaClO2 + 2HCl + NaOCl > 2ClO2 + 3NaCl + H2O
Preferable for batch type systems due to the stability of chlorine dioxide solutions produced.
5NaClO2 + 4HCl > 4ClO2 + 5NaCl + 2H2O
Preferable for inline systems due to the simplicity of controlling 2 precursor chemical pumps instead of 3.
System Configuration Options:
Chlorine Dioxide Capacity
- 50g/hr, 100g/hr, 500g/hr, 1000g/hr, customised design and capacity available on request.
- Batch, Inline
- Built in ClO2 residual analyser.
- Remote log-in, data trending, control and alarming.
Chlorine dioxide benefits include:
- Disinfection of municipal and ground water sources
- Approved residual levels in food & beverage processing
- kills pathogenic microorganisms such as fungi, bacteria and viruses
- Inactivation of chlorine-resistant microorganisms such as Cryptosporidium
- Iron and manganese oxidation in municipal distribution
- Removal of odour, colour and taste taint
Applicable markets for Chlorine dioxide (ClO2):
- Drinking water
- Waste water discharge
- Food & beverage
- Chemical industry